ONE YEAR LIVERAVERSARY






It is my one year liveraversary. 366 days ago, I received the call that saved my life. I was so nervous, but excited at the prospect of my life changing completely. I remember calling my mom calm as day telling her I got the call. I’m highly certain she didn’t take me seriously the first time because my voice was so calm.

I still think it is hilarious that after Kevin ran in saying my transplant coordinator had called him, I decided that no matter what I was taking a shower before I left. I can remember him going “We don’t have TIME!” I remember thinking that I would make time because it could be my last real shower for a hot minute. I remember the minute my mom walked into my room, I had her and Kevin there and I was calm.

I remember telling my mom and Kevin that I hadn’t put a single person in charge of decisions, but instead both of them. I remember telling them things, just in case I didn’t make it out of surgery or if there was a complication. But I remember thinking I’m doing this, just in case. I KNEW I would be okay. The last thing I told my mom before they wheeled me back was “Don’t worry. I’ve got lots of babies to make.” I meant it too.

I feel terrible that my family had to wait the long fourteen hours during my surgery. I don’t remember a single bit of it or my ICU stay afterwards. But after hearing stories, I’m thankful. I accused my mom of lying to me about whether or not Kevin was still going to work (while I was in ICU)- sorry mom.

Charlie kept a journal from the time I got my call, and I learned things I don’t remember at all. My sweet aunt Vickie came in to visit and rubbed my feet. Charlie held my hand during dressing changes. That Kevin called my mom at 5 in the morning the day after my transplant because I was asking for her. I had a very bad case of the hiccups, and apparently I hated baths in the ICU.

My favorite foods after transplant in the hospital were pickles and hard boiled eggs, which I didn’t care for before surgery. I remember that they had put me on a soft diet when I had issues with my esophagus and the one food I desperately wanted was Cheetos.... which I don’t normally eat anyway.  However I do remember after that second surgery to repair my vena cava, I INHALED Chick-fil-A, and being a grouch the entire day earlier because they wouldn’t let me eat. I know like spicy foods, which I didn’t like before transplant either.

This past year has given me life, real life. I took a little bit to recover to normal human being status again. I also spent several months battling a diagnosis that altered my life and how I mentally handled my after transplant appointments. I have had a husband who has been more than patient with me. He has handled a lot more than I even thought he was going to have to, and never once raised his voice or got cranky.

This first year that my sweet donor has given me allowed me to continue graduate school. We bought our very first home. I got to watch my sister’s senior year of volleyball, and cheer as loud as I possibly could. We rescued a sweet pup who has captured our hearts completely. We have learned that next year we can officially start family planning, and I’ll be close to graduation by that point. I got to be there during my Grandaddy's last hours on Earth and help take care of him.



Each and every day I wake up I remember there is a family who is still mourning the loss of their loved one. I promise, I do not overlook their sadness or ever once for even a minute forget it. I’m doing my absolute best to live every single day to make them proud. I do not forget that the entire reason I am able to look forward to having kids, is because someone made the decision to donate their loved ones organs. I received the best gift anyone could ever give anyone.

This next year I hope to be able to contact my donor’s family, but know that it may still be too early for them. I love them already, and just want them to know how thankful I am for them.

Here is to my donor, a new life, and lots of love in the next year!

XOXO Ali 

Comments