Blood Draws, Tests, & Doctors! Oh My!

It’s been over a week since my transplant appointment two Fridays ago, and I think I’m fighting a bug. So I apologize for the update being a little late! 

We had to get up at the crack of dawn to be there early, because I finally got to meet my transplant team! Dr. D is still my main doctor, so it was a relief that that didn’t change. He came in first and did his thing. Then I got to meet my nurse coordinator, my pharmacist, my dietician, and my social worker. These visits were pretty general, just getting info on what I eat, what my normal days look like, what medicines I take prescription or non-prescription. We had to bring financial paperwork to go over, so she could look into our insurance, what we qualify for, etc. They gave me a lot of information about everything before transplant and leading up to the hospital. But it wasn’t as overwhelming as I was told it would be, but honestly it’s probably because I have done so much research that the before information didn’t surprise me. 

That was how I spent the first half of my day, the second half I went to test after test. Before they bring your file in front of the entire team who votes on if you will get to be on the list or not, they require a billion tests and bloodwork. On Friday, I had 33 vials of blood taken for the initial workup. I went and had a chest x-ray done, an EKG, and an echocardiogram. 


This week is another week full of tests. I need a dentist to clear me for transplant as well as an OBGYN and a psychiatrist. I had an arterial blood gas study and a spirometry done today. I was dreading the arterial blood has study because everyone told me how terrible and uncomfortable it would be. Thankfully, the sweet lady that did it today did excellent where pain and uncomfortableness wasn’t an issue for me! I’m so worn down that I probably would’ve ended up having a crying meltdown if it was as bad as I had been told. 
(Below is a picture of the easier test that I wasn't dreading today!) 


The next three weeks of my life are going to be full of tests and doctor’s visits in order to get me on the transplant list. I'm now wearing a mask to my classes because germs are running rampant. Let me just throw this tidbit of information out there, GET YOUR FLU SHOTS and GO TO THE DOCTOR. I understand the flu shot does not make you immune from getting the flu, but it lowers your chances of getting it and it lasting very long if you do. Also, do not let a cough, cold, fever, or any other symptom go on for long. If it is not going away, you need to be seen, and going to the doctor to get it treated could help spare someone else from getting the same thing. For those of us with no immune systems, it is SO difficult to get over a simple bug or illness. So please be aware, and do what you can to keep yourself and those around you healthy!  


Between graduate school, midterms, fighting germs, no immune system and these tests I’ll take any prayers, well wishes, and positive vibes I can get. I don’t normally have packed full days and especially not weeks. But the end result is me being that much closer to a new liver, so onward we must push!

XOXO
Ali  

Comments

  1. I couldn't be more proud of you and what a true warrior you are! I'm sending you lots of love and prayers and only the best vibes honey. You are a testament of light and love even in the hardest of times, I feel so blessed and lucky to have you in my life.
    love you, ginny <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment